With its emphasis on a sublime atmosphere of picturesque scenery, extraordinary and exotic locations, mystery, and horror, Gothic Fiction carved an indelible impression in the literary world. Beginning with Horace Walpole’s The Castle of Otranto in 1764, the Gothic has stalked the literary shadows for centuries, delivering tangled and tortured narratives of family trauma, psychological distress, and terrible secrets.
The terrifying appeal of the Gothic lies within its ability to invoke a pleasing and memorable dread. Nosetouch Press is excited to open a call for a Gothic novel (60,000 words+) or novella (35,000 words+), encouraging writers to delve into the darkness and send us their best work. Previously unpublished work only—no reprints. No YA, poetry, or short story collections. Diverse voices are welcome.
We will not consider stories with excessive gore, splattercore, cosmic horror, exploitation/trauma porn, romance/erotica-centered plots, or child abuse-driven fiction.
Starting January 1, 2022, please email your complete manuscript as an email attachment in .doc/.docx format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list GOTHIC FICTION CALL and the author name in your subject line. Please include a cover letter containing the word count, a short description of the work, and an author bio. Submissions sent prior to January 1, 2022, will be discarded. The call ends at MIDNIGHT PST, January 31, 2022, unless an extension to the call is announced via our social media channels.
Please expect a 3-4 month reading period for all submitted works. Nosetouch Press will notify all writers of acceptance or rejection by email. Good fits for Nosetouch Press are carefully read and reviewed. We greatly appreciate your patience and understand that we have great respect for writers, and will let you know as soon as we’ve reached our final decision. Thank you for your interest in Nosetouch Press.
NOSETOUCH PRESS OFFERS:
- A professionally designed book—includes cover and interior, to industry standards
- A professionally edited book
- 35% royalty on print books/45% royalty on ebooks—paid electronically and quarterly
- Ebook distribution through KDP, B&N Press, and Apple iBooks
- Paperback distribution through both KDP and IngramSpark, including extended distribution channels via Ingram
- Sell sheet for your book
- Inclusion in the Nosetouch Press Catalog (PDF)
- Author page on the Nosetouch Press website
- 10 free trade paperback author copies; discount offered for additional copies
- Advertising and promotion through all Nosetouch Press social media channels and platforms; Press releases to various media outlets; Solicitation of early reviews/ARC preparation and distribution
- Continuous promotion of your book for as long as it is published by Nosetouch Press.
We do not offer advances on royalties.
Nosetouch Press aquires First World English Rights (Digital & Print) for a period of 3 years from the signing of the contract, after which all rights revert back to the author. The author has the option to renew for 2-year periods of time after the expiration of the original contract.
The author always holds the copyright to their works.
Nosetouch Press requires our authors of novel/novella-length fiction to maintain an active presence on social media and to maintain an author website.